Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Podcasting-Communicating with technologies

Podcasting is a valuable development in technology that could be very useful in the classroom.  Students can listen to other’s podcasts or create their very own.  In listening to other’s podcasts, students are able to subscribe, and request information from a variety of sources on almost any subject imaginable.  Students who create their own podcasts could use them to extend and share knowledge that they have retained with others around the world.  This allows students to make decisions on who will produce the podcast, and what material will be included (2008).  Students are able to work on their communication and organizational skills, also.  Podcasts give teachers another means to assess subject based knowledge through a product that stimulates multiple intelligences, as well.
Podcast are similar to other 2.0 applications because they all are a means to assess knowledge that has been learned and applied to the different programs.  Students must gather, organize and communicate that knowledge in a meaningful way, regardless of the program.  Podcasts are different that other 2.0 applications because they become an audio and/or video representation of that knowledge. 
I do not own an iPod or MP3 player, personally.  But, I am an aide in a classroom that just received an iPod so I do believe there are advantages and uses for such equipment in the classroom.  I know that our class uses many CD’s and we would like to copy all of them onto the iPod so that we may use them wherever we go.  Because I do not know anything about this iPod, I will need some time to learn more about it before I can imagine the multiple uses for it, though.  I do see many advantages to online communication tools.  I use Skype several times a month to communicate with our previous exchange student in Germany.  I also use Facebook and chat online and believe that it has enabled me to stay in communication with people that I would otherwise not be able to communicate with.  Skype, especially, can allow for families to enjoy special moments together that would not be possible when distance is an issue.  But with so many people communicating online, I can see disadvantages also.  People must not use these online tools as there only means to communicate.  Otherwise, they miss out on the connections that people speaking face-to-face can enjoy.  Also, online communication tools lack the ability to reveal how someone says something.  You lose the tone, pace and body language that only face-to-face interactions can produce (2008).  I believe that both have a time and place, but one should not consume the other.

Reference:
 Jonassen, D., Howland, J., Marra, R., & Crismond, D.  (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology (3rd ed.).  Upper Saddle River, New Jersey:  Pearson Education, Inc.

3 comments:

  1. Our campus has been using iPods for a couple of years now as an extension of the classroom. Our students are allowed to check one out and utilize it for their homework. I do not own one but do own an mp3. However, I only use it for music. When I get some free time, I would like to look further into integrating an iPod into the classroom. For now that free time looks like it may occur sometime after I graduate : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not like the use of ipods or mp3 in the classroom because I feel it would distract the students rather than help them in certain ways. For example if they are using an ipod you are not certain if they are using it like they are supposed too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you are saying I would not want to lose my soial life to a computer. I love to go out and interact with people. And that fact that you do not have an ipod I am right their with you. I would have to have one in order to know what I am going to do in the classroom with it.

    GREAT POST! :)

    ReplyDelete