Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Assessing Meaningful Learning With Technology & Inspiration/Kidspiration

I believe that technology based rubrics are an excellent tool that teachers could utilize in every content area and on every grade level throughout the elementary years.  Rubrics give the students the requirements of an assignment and tells them exactly what they are being graded on, point for point.  Teachers are held more accountable for their grading practices, also.  There are no questions as to what grade to give a student, because they are in print for all to see and understand.  In my classroom, I would use rubrics for projects, like a book report or science project.  I would list the required components and the range of points given for each required element. 
I believe that the student remote response systems, or clickers, could benefit a classroom of students who were above second grade.  With this device, teachers are able to assess student knowledge in an instant.  Students are able to respond quickly and efficiently, as well.  In my classroom, I would use this to assess knowledge in a multiple choice situation.  This would prepare the students for standardized tests.
Kidspiration is a great tool that allows students to learn in a visual way.  This program builds their skills in Reading and Writing, Math, Science and Social Studies.  Because I am a visual learner, I really liked this program and could see myself using it in my classroom in the future.  I loved the graphic organizers and images that could be used to brainstorm ideas and prepare for writing.  I would use this program to introduce and reinforce new ideas in Math, as well.  The geometric figures, fraction and counting tiles were easy to manipulate and seemed like they would be very helpful for students to grasp.  I believe that this program would be helpful in all Elementary classrooms.

2 comments:

  1. I too thought that Kidspiration was a great tool! I definitely will use this program in my clasroom because I believe that it will engage the student while teaching the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the kidspiration tools are great as well! They are definitely assessment benefits, as well as keeping students motivated benefits. All over I think these are great tools for students and to keep them motivated which will help them learn.

    ReplyDelete